Saturday, June 8, 2013

Another mesanger bag

I love giving the girls something handmade by me as a present.  So after constantly stealing her sisters messenger bags, I made Philippa her own Oliver + S messenger bag for her birthday.  She loves it, this bag goes with us everywhere.


Again like with Alannah's bag I used essentially homemade binding to attach a buckle to the bag.  Philippa loves having the buckle even though she is only able to close and not open it!







The fabric I used is super cute a upholstery weight fabric from a local store Creasphere.  The only catch is that it is a directional print which means if I cut the back/front flap in one piece either the front flap or the back would be upside down.  So I sewed a front flap and back together with a seam on the top fold.  To cover the seam and because I happened to have some super cute owl ribbon in  coordinating colours I decided to sew a strip of it across the seam.  The fabric was all fussy cut giving regard to the owl design of the fabric.

The lining was a combination of an aqua owl print called "on a Whim" by Amy Schimler and "Dot to Dot" in Coral from the Children at play line of fabric by Sarah Jane, both from my stash.  I also used the "Dot to Dot" for the buckle binding.  The rest of the bag binding is a Michael Miller "Ta Dot" in Breeze also from the stash.  Infact the whole bag was made from materials in my stash, some bits like the buckles and webbing used for the strap were stashed with thoughts of making more of these adorable bags.  As was the owl outer fabric, sorry Soul that was intended for your bag, promise yours will be just as awesome.


Oh and in case you were wondering the dress Philippa is wearing is a Felix dress that I made for Xanthe's 3rd birthday (pre Blog).  Using an out of print Sandi Henderson line of fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment